Dental Implants and Diet: Enjoying Your Favorite Foods Again
If you’ve experienced tooth loss, you’re familiar with the challenges it can pose to your daily life, especially when it comes to enjoying your favorite foods. Whether it’s biting into a juicy apple or savoring a hearty steak, missing teeth can significantly impact your ability to indulge in a wider variety of foods. Fortunately, dental implants can help. At Pearce Dental Group in Cincinnati, OH, we offer complete implant treatments that make your smile just as good as new.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental are permanent restorations used for replacing missing teeth. As a whole, they consist of three essential components:
- Dental Implant: This is the post or “artificial root” for your new “tooth.” Implants are hypoallergenic and biocompatible. They are surgically placed into the jawbone, where they serve as a sturdy anchor for the replacement tooth.
- Abutment: The abutment is a connector piece that attaches to the implant post. It protrudes above the gumline and supports the artificial tooth on top of it.
- Crown: The crown is the visible part of the tooth replacement. It is custom designed to blend in with your natural teeth. It is securely attached to the abutment, completing your tooth replacement. Other restoration options can include bridges, overdentures, or “All on” prosthetics.
Cincinnati dental implants offer numerous benefits, including enhanced aesthetics, improved speech, increased comfort, and, most importantly, the ability to enjoy your favorite foods.
How Long Does the Dental Implant Process Take?
The dental implant process in Cincinnati is a multi-stage procedure that requires at least 3-6 months or more from start to finish. It includes:
- Initial Consultation: The process begins with an initial evaluation with our Cincinnati dentist. During this visit, we’ll examine your mouth and determine if you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. We’ll also create a treatment plan that includes all the details, such as timeline and pricing.
- Implant Placement: The next step is the surgical placement of the implant post. This is a minor/minimally-invasive surgical procedure, and local anesthesia is used to ensure your comfort. After the implant is placed, a healing period of several months is often needed to allow the implant to fuse with the jawbone, a process called osseointegration.
- Abutment Installation: Once osseointegration is complete, the implant post is exposed, and an abutment is attached to the top. Impressions are taken for the lab to create your final crown.
- Crown Placement: Last but not least, the custom-designed crown is securely attached to the abutment.
The entire process, from the initial consultation to the placement of the final crown, can take several months. However, the investment in time is well worth it, as dental implants can last a lifetime. Our Cincinnati dentists can also work with you to provide temporary tooth options as osseointegration is taking place.
Is There an Age Limit for Getting Dental Implants?
One of the great advantages of dental implants is that there is no strict age limit for this procedure. Dental implants can be a viable option for most adults, regardless of age. What matters most is your overall health and the condition of your supporting bone.
How Do I Take Care of My Dental Implants?
Great home care protects your investment, so that your implants will last decades (if not a lifetime.) Thankfully, the process is practically identical to caring for your natural teeth:
- Maintain a diligent oral hygiene routine by brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing daily. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and a non-abrasive toothpaste. Consider using a water flosser around your implants, especially if you have a fixed multi-tooth restoration.
- Schedule regular checkups and professional cleanings to monitor the health of your implants.
- Avoid chewing hard objects and be cautious with very hard or sticky foods.
- If you smoke, consider quitting, as smoking can increase the risk of implant failure.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
Don’t let missing teeth limit your diet choices. If you have to eat softer textures, chew on one side of your mouth, or cut your meals into small bites, it’s time to call Pearce Dental Group in Cincinnati, for an implant consultation!